2012 is perhaps the last year ever, according to the Mayans at least. Time to make a decent to do list, to get the most out of it.
1. Learning Icelandic. As my boyfriend and my cousin reacted “Again?”. But now I’m serious this time. Alexandra, a good friend of mine and Icelandic, will probably move to Antwerp for a while. Which is an extra motivation!
2. The garden. In 2011 we bought a house. With a garden. After the adding-earth-to-it adventure that Kristof will never forget (the poor devil: one of the bags with soil tore in the air, it hardly missed our roof), it’s time to sculpt the garden. I want a patio garden with vegetables in pots. Which ones I do not know. I’d love to have raspberries. Suggestions are always welcome.
3. The house. Our ongoing project for the rest of our lives. I want to paint the stairs and hallway (but first I have to get four layers of paint off that already have been there since the thirties). The attic floor is also on my program. And much more/
4. Dinner at Roger Van Damme. He’s a famous pastry chef. Mouth watering. How the man uses the piping bag, waw.
5. I want to be able to make desserts that look good. Grow patience. “It doesn’t look like it, but it tastes good,” says Kristof often. Let’s see if I also am able to create something delicious that is also good-looking.
6. Learn to make the perfect Mogador. The Mogador is a macaroon with milk chocolate and passion fruit of my favorite Parisian pastry chef Pierre Hermé. My baking nemesis. Although I suspect that the oven had something to do with my failures. I can’t control temperature anymore. A new oven should do the trick.
7. To see Radiohead. Just because it is much too long ago. Probably in Berlin. If you want to join me, please let me know.
8. My craziest project: to read 30 books read. Because I haven’t read enough the past years. The internet, you know. I’m going for 13 classics, 13 modern books and four others. Many American authors on the list
Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
Slaughterhouse 5 (Kurt Vonnegut)
Lord of the Rings (Tolkien, it’s been too long)
Post Office (Charles Bukowski)
Divine Comedy (Dante)
Don Quixote (Cervantes)
Ulysses (James Joyce – finish it at least)
Tropic of Cancer (Henry Miller)
Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
Emma (Jane Austen)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)
100 years of solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
Henry V (Shakespeare)
The Kindly Ones (Jonathan Litell)
Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
Godenslaap (Erwin Mortier)
Solar (Ian McEwen)
Hardboiled Wonderland (Haruki Murakami)
Norwegian Wood (Haruki Murakami)
The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)
The Cathedral of the Sea (Ildefenso Falcones)
The copper garden (Simone Vestdijk)
A visit from the Goon Squad (Jennifer Egan)
A History of the World in 10 1 / 2 chapters (Julian Barnes)
The End of Mr. Y (Scarlett Thomas)
The big postponement (Mark Reugebrink)
Les fleurs du mal (Baudelaire)
9. I’m working on a blog with all pubs, shops and activities that you do not find in guidebooks. The blog is called Secret spots and hidden gems. It’s my own travel guide / archive I want to share. But first I want to have one hundred items before I launch it.
10. Visit a museum or exhibition every month.